Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Blood Lily Chronicles ~ Julie Kenner


The Blood Lily Chronicles by Julie Kenner is actually divided into three different books.
Tainted
Torn
Turned
The series follows a young woman named Lily who after her death is given one shot at redemption. She must become a demon assassin. The twist is that since Lily has died she must come back as an assassin in a totally new body. Her task is to kill as many demons as possible while preventing the opening of the ninth gate of hell and a pending apocalypse. So much for any easy day job. Of course Lily task is made even harder by the fact that she has left a kid sister behind and can't seem to let go of the past, and of course by the hot bad boy who keeps showing up at all the wrong times.
I don't want to give too much away so let me just say that overall I did like the series. Personally I think it could have been rapped up nicely in two books but the author obviously thought differently. For me parts in the middle of the second book and of the last book seemed to drag a bit. Not that it was boring, those parts just felt more like fluff.
I will warn you though, if you are from the Boston area the first few chapters from Tainted are very tough to stomach, I mean really, has Julie Kenner ever been to Boston? Just because someone works at an Irish bar does not mean they talk like they are in a pub in an old Irish movie. Ugh. I swear every person who's seen the Departed thinks they know what Boston's like. If a friend hadn't given me the series to read I may have just put the book down. I am glad I pushed past the strange Boston stuff because the story line was pretty good and different enough from anything else I've read this year to make it worth the effort.

I'd give the whole series a 3 and a half out of five stars. With Tainted being the best of the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment