Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Hunger Games ~ Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had no desire to read this book. I've heard amazing reviews about it for years but every time I read the back cover I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. Since I read mostly paranormal and fights to the death are not really my thing, The Hunger Games just didn't seem like something that would appeal to me.

Now here I am writing a review for The Hunger Games, so you know I must have finally read it. A friend purchased the trilogy and said "trust me you are going to like these". I have to say she was correct. The Hunger Games grabbed me from the start.
The world Katniss lives in is one from the future. When the United States is no more and in its place is a series of Districts controlled by a ruthless Capitol. 75 years before the story takes place is an uprising. As punishment for their defeat the Capital forces each district to hand over one girl and one boy from the ages of 12-18 to be entered into a nationally televised fight to the death.
Starved and unskilled these children must not only survive but brutally kill others at the chance to be the one winner at the end of the games. Add to that the fact that Katniss arrives at the games with a boy from her district that she feels she owes some small debt. Life becomes increasingly complicated for Katniss as she tries to survive by earning the favor of the Capital she despises.

This novel was gladiator meets the lottery with the classic YA love triangle thrown in for good measure. I am halfway through the second novel and was so upset by some of the events I almost threw the novel across the room. Nothing says good writing like a novel that can pull such emotion from its reader. Be prepared to be angry and sad at times, but also inspired by the strength of the human spirit. Now I can't wait to see the movie, hopefully they don't screw it up!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment