Thursday, June 28, 2012

Secret of the Wolf ~ Cynthia Garner

Secret of the Wolf (Warriors of the Rift, #2)Secret of the Wolf by Cynthia Garner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Cythnia Garner has done it again. This is the second book in her Warriors of the rift series and I have to say I couldn't tear myself away from it! Picking up shortly after the first book, Secret of the Wolf, follows two secondary characters from the first book as they continue on their investigation of the rift machine.

Summary:
Warriors of the Rift
Once a generation, the rift between the paranormal world and the human world opens, allowing supernatural entities to cross. Vampire, demon, or shapeshifter, they can save the world-or send it spiraling into chaos.
As a werewolf liaison to the Council of Preternaturals, Tori Joseph is used to straddling the world between humans and immortals. She plays by the rules and always delivers justice, no matter the cost. But after a string of increasingly brutal attacks results in humans turning into werewolves, Tori doesn't reveal her horrifying suspicion: Someone very close to her might be responsible.

Investigating the paranormal violence, no-nonsense detective Dante MacMillan believes Tori is hiding something. His search for the truth draws him into greater danger as he gets closer to the dark realm of the immortals-and to the sexy werewolf who stirs his primal lust. Now with evil closing in around them, Dante must convince Tori to trust him . . . before her deadly secret destroys them both.



My Take: 


We find Tori, a werewolf, forced to work with Dante, a human cop, in order to figure out the strange rift machine. Along the way they learn to trust each other, even as the people around them are threatening to change everything. Tori must walk a fine line between family, loyalty and love. Dante is so caught up in keeping himself from getting involved that he finds himself right in the middle.


I have to say I've loved Dante from book one. He's a cop, he drives a big truck and he has horses (specifically an Appaloosa, my fav) whats not to love. I did find myself wishing he would get it together and date Tori on more than one occasion, but he came around eventually.


Now that we are at the second book the whole idea of the rift is easier to understand. I also liked that Cynthia Garner took the time to explain a little more about the way the essence of one being and the humans can join together.


This book had a mix of everything; paranormal, romance and a little mystery. A great summer read that works as a standalone but I believe is made better by reading the first book. Check out my review of the first in the series  Kiss if the Vampire and my author interview



1 comment: