Friday, September 26, 2014

Flowers in the attic ~ V.C. Andrews My banned books week selection!

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1)Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Since I skipped these YA novels when I was in high school I have slowly been going back and reading some novels I had missed. Sometimes I realize why I skipped them, like Wuthering Heights. Others, like this novel, I actually really enjoyed. In a sick kind of way of course. After all I'm an adult and some scenes made me uncomfortable. Its hard to imagine myself as a teenager reading it. I hadn't realized it at the time but this novel is on one of the Banned Books lists so it was prefect timing.

Summary:

It wasn't that she didn't love her children. She did. But there was a fortune at stake--a fortune that would assure their later happiness if she could keep the children a secret from her dying father.

So she and her mother hid her darlings away in an unused attic.

Just for a little while.

My Take:
This novel is about some of the worst traits of human nature; greed, lust, zealotry. The reader is taken for a journey with four young children as they are abused by both their grandmother and their mother. Something else happens along the way though. We are able to see some of the best human qualities as the children band together and persevere through great hardship.

Overall this was a novel worth reading if you can stomach the content. If nothing else its fast paced and interesting. Now on to the second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment