Thursday, September 18, 2014

My top ten, no really

So last week I saw an article on facebook about people posting the books that changed their lives. Now the article was pretty funny, even if it was short. Mostly this is because people tend to pretend to like books to sound smarter. Or maybe its the opposite. They are ashamed of liking teen books, or fun books thinking it make them look less intelligent.

I, Of course,  am not one of those people. I tend to like what I like and I have no shame in saying it. That being said when I actual sat down to think about my top ten it was really very hard. I have a wide span in the genres that I read. So wide intact some seem to be in a completely different universe. So I have decided to bend the rules a little bit. Instead of my top ten books, this is my top ten books and/or series in no particular order.

Also heres a link to that article in case you were interested.

1. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Probably one of the most empowering novels I have ever read. Bradley's twist on Aurthirian legend takes an Adam and Eve tale and turns it into an I am woman hear me roar moment. I'm not sure which came first my love for everything Medieval or my love for the Mists of Avalon but I'm sure I have many years of Renfaires under my belt because of this novel.

2. The Maggie O'Dell Series by Alex Kava
This is another strong heroine who is struggling with her own demons. Fast paced and always interesting, these crime novels are amazing. They feel like the X-Files without the aliens.

3. The Giving Tree by Shell Silverstein
I was given this book as a child and still have the original copy. I've read it to my son at least 10 times already and figure it will take another 20 more before the message sinks in.

4. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martins
I'm going to stick with the first book here, and possibly Dance with Dragons. Honestly though its the first book in this epic fantasy series that made me stop and say wow. If your thinking of adding this one to your TBR list be fore warned it is the definition of Epic. Prepare to loose months of you life reading this series. Its worth it though.

5. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Ok I know what your thinking. Your saying to yourself Twilight? Really? Remember though that we are talking about books that have made an impact and Twilight did that for me. I picked it up while on maternity leave and for what ever reason it sparked my love of reading once again. So I have Twilight to thank for all of the amazing novels I have read since then.

6. The Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs
Mercy drew me in book one with her no nonsense attitude and shape shifting ability. This series also introduced me to the world of paranormal romance. As the series has gone on Patricia Briggs has kept her characters fresh and exciting. If you haven't started this series yet I only have one question. What are you waiting for?

7. Slakes Limbo by Felice Holman
This is one of the first school issued novels that I really enjoyed. As an with grader this story about a boy on his own in the city was both intriguing and inspiring. I am going to keep my eye out for a copy for my son.

8. Darkling by K.M. Peyton
This is another one of those novels from my younger days. I remember borrowing it from the Library and reading it non stop for a whole day during the summer. At the time I was an aspiring horse lover and this novel showed me a world I could only dream of. It is a little depressing but still worth the read.

9. Think Harmony with Horses by Ray Hunt
Now if your not a horse person this choice, and the next, are not going to make any impact on your life. For me though, these are the two books and trainers I have referred back to time and time again. Over the years I have spent a large amount of time watching video's, going to clinics and reading novels by all kinds of trainers. Ray Hunt was by far one of the best. His style is all about understanding how a horse thinks and responding appropriately. Patience and understanding being key points. No matter what discipline you ride Ray Hunts techniques will help you work more as partners and who wouldn't want that?

10. Cross-Train your horse by Jane Savoie
This is another horse training book that brings you back to basics. Jane Savoie speaks in a language all riders can understand and shows how simple Dressage movements can help develop a happier and more in shape horse. Think of the way Athletes will cross train to develop more muscle and flexibility and apply that to your horse and by extension yourself. Any rider of any discipline would benefit from this book.

So there you go. My very strange list of the ten books that have affected my life in some major way. Some are novels, others children's books and the last equestrian instruction books. I guess that goes to show you the things that make an impact can and should be diversely different. So the big question is what books, novels or otherwise do you think have had an impact for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment